We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changed router modem and new router wont connect.

silentbob219

Likes # 0

hi all

please help

I am pretty untechnical minded here so bare with me please.

I decided to upgrade my netgear super wirless adsl router DG834GT (supplied by my isp sky around 4 may be 5 years ago) as wanted better signal for my laptop and gaming for my xbox 360. Thought it would be a doddle as the box says fully compatible with major DSL ISP'S, and was the same make.(NETGEAR WIRLESS-N 300 MODEM ROUTER DGN2200)

BUT NO!

I unplugged my old router and hooked up the new n300 one all the lights came on green went through the set up cd and it seemed to be fine until it got to the stage that it wanted to connect to the internet. no such luck.

it says a couple of messages.

" the router is set up with the static IP values read from the computer. however, there is no internet connection with these settings"

"select NEXT to enter the settings manually"

"Select EXIT to close the application"

Itried to install a couple of times and the same error message came up several times though all lights were green.

my pc iteself(windows 7) noted there was no connection either and also sometimes brought up the error message

"Windows has detected an ip address conflict"

"another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resolving the issue.More details available in the windows sytem event log."

so i uplugged it all and put my old router in and tada it worked fine , no set up no problem, no errors.

Please help i would like to get it sorted asap and if the modem dont work then what an expensive waste.!

thanks in advance

silentbob

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As far as I know the modem/routers provided by Sky are customised for use with their service, the DG834 models they supplied were not the same as the standard retail versions. If this is indeed the case, then it is possible that the modem/router you've acquired won't work with Sky.

Perhaps another Sky user can confirm if this is the case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...