We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need for info and assistance re wifi card

rickf

Likes # 0

HI All, I bought a generic wireless card for my son's desktop. Took me 2 days to work out that it would not work with WPA security only WEP. WEP is I think only for ethernet cable broadband. Is the PC still protected with WEP connecting wirelessly to the net. A bit annoyed as the box says it works with both WPA and WEP. I have complain to Amazon where I bought it from and informed others through the item reviews page.
SEcondly, how can I get it to connect w/o having to launch their software utility first and type in my WEP security key. I tried using MS Zero configuration so I can just connect to the web by clickimg on IE8. AS it is I have to connect first using their lauch utility then when connected launch IE8. A bit tedious.
Any suggestions welcome.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

>>> WEP is I think only for ethernet cable broadband.
>>> Is the PC still protected with WEP connecting wirelessly to the net

WEP is *not* for wired ethernet connections; they don't use encryption. WEP is the basic type of encryption used for wireless networks. When trying to configure the adapter to use WPA, did you have the router's wireless settings configured to use WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption? I assume you did change the router's settings from WEP to WPA.

If the Wireless Zero Configuration service has been enabled, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties then the Wireless Networks tab. Tick the box to "Use Windows to configure...etc". Then click the button to "View Wireless Networks". The problem is that some third-party wireless software takes back control of the wireless networking when the PC is rebooted. The only solution to that is to uninstall it.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Thanks
Good info. REassured that WEP protects my PC. Unfortunately, the card does not support WPA.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added