We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to set up a 2nd router in a seperate building

karaokekid

Likes # 0

Hi there everyone im am new on this forum

i have a belkin router as the main one with wireless enabled all works fine in my house

but i have a office about 25 mtrs away and its not picking up the belkin very well at best i get it sometimes at very low reception

so last year i put a echolife router in the office and had it running well set up as a (RELAY) i believe ???

But now it has stopped working !!!

i have tried another echolife incase the ist one was faulty

But cannot get it working now and cannot remember how i did it

I believe i set it up as relay pulling from my belkin but everytime i go into 192.168.1.1 admin admin and go into the setting in dchp i think when i set it for relay it keeps telling me wrong ip or something like that

and cannot get online

Does anyone know how to set it up please

many thanks
karaokekid

Like this post
jtay78

Likes # 0

hi,

need a bit more info on the error please.

are you trying to setup two routers so you have one as local and router 2 as the bridge connection ???

if so follow this guide:

network isolation - If you heavily utilize the network connection between certain computers (such as frequent large file transfers, or LAN gaming), installing those computers to use one router, isolates the network traffic from affecting the other router and all of its attached devices.

Installing a Two Router Network
Installing a router to work as the second one on a home network requires special configuration.

Do the following on the second router to ensure it (and the devices attached) function properly:

1. Connect as local device or bridge - If connecting the second router via Ethernet cable, plug it into one of the LAN ports on the first router. If connecting the second router wirelessly, ensure the second router is set for client mode.

Note that some home wireless routers do not support client mode; these must be connected by cable. Check your router documentation for details on its client mode configuration support.

2. Check / change IP address - Most home network routers use a default IP address setting. Often, these default IP addresses will not work in a two router environment.

Check the second router's IP address value and reset it if necessary to work within the valid address range of the first router (and to not conflict with any other device on the network).

3. Disable DHCP - To avoid IP address conflicts between all of the devices on the home network, only one of your two routers should assign addresses via DHCP. All mainstream routers provide an option to disable DHCP as part of the router's configuration screens.

let me know if this is what you looking to do !

kind regards

JT

Like this post
karaokekid

Likes # 0

Thanks JT

I will try this out it will be a few days prob
before i can get to do it

But thanks for the advice

many thanks
karaokekid

Like this post
jtay78

Likes # 0

Np mate ! if you need any more help just give me a shout or anyone on here will help if they can !!!

Best Regards

JT

Like this post
karaokekid

Likes # 0

jtay78

Many thanks to you
it is running sweet again

Thanks for your help your a star

karaokekid

Like this post
jtay78

Likes # 0

Np dude glad i can be of some help :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today