We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

poor WiFi help

Madrat

Likes # 0

Hi, I have sky broadband and although the wifi is perfect in the house as soon as we try to use the laptops outside we have a very poor or none existent signal. The router is on the 1st floor at the front of the house. Moving the router to another location is not an option due to wired network connections next to it. Is there any way to boost the signal? the router has no visible aerial.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

A home plug and range extender - some ideas click here. Home plug transfers BB signal to house mains supply. Range extender extracts it and re-transmits as a wireless signal. There are others ways as well.

Like this post
Madrat

Likes # 0

Don't like home plugs, they should be banned.

I like the idea of the repeater. will look in to it

Thanks

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Why?

Like this post
Madrat

Likes # 0

They cause interference with some radio's, and can cause problems with internet speed

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

No, I don't think so! Homeplugs themselves work over the mains network and have nothing to do with radio frequencies.

Like this post
Madrat

Likes # 0

I beg to differ but the interference from them and the wiring they connect to is causing radio hams to try and get them baned or regulated, also they are technically illegal under EU law.

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

try this trick:

start run, gpedit.msc, computer config, admin templates, network, QoS packet scheduler, set Limit Reservable Bandwidth to enable and the value as 0

Reboot your pc and the net should run a little faster.

click here for more help if unable to fix.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Homeplug is the perfect solution - I've used it for years and it doesn't interfere with any of our numerous 'wireless' appliances including AM/FM/UHF/DSAT and Internet Radio. It has a similar overhead to 802 WiFi so offers very similar speeds to the end user.

Like this post
GANDALF <|:-)>

Likes # 0

Homeplugs do not cause interference.

G

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Thank you GANDALF <|:-)>.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...