We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using a 3rd-party router with O2 ADSL2+

adam32

Likes # 0

I recently changed from an ADSL supplier to ADSL2+ from O2, which use a Thomson router. I had never previously used ADSL2+ or an ISP-supplied router, so I was a bit surprised to find that I did not need to enter a username and password into it.

Does this mean that these details are pre-configured by O2 or does ADSL2+ not use them?

I ask because the wireless reception is not as good as I'm used to, so I may replace it with a router of my preferred brand (Draytek). If I do so, will I run into any problems with configuration and/or compatibility?

I asked O2 about this but it has not responded.

Like this post
adam32

Likes # 0

Anyone?

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

I'm pretty sure that if you buy another router, the user name and password (default) will be printed on it. For example, a Netgear router uses admin and password as its default. Should be no problem.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

You can use anything you like.

I use my own equipment on o2 with no problem.

Their own routers have a back door, that lets them update the router remotely and that is one reason, I won't use it.

For example, when they recently changed their DNS routers, rather than tell me the truth via an email they sent me, they assumed they could update the addresses automatically and simply said we will be updating your router in the next couple of days. I knew they couldn't because they don't have access to my equipment.

Result? I lost connection due to them changing the DNS routers addresses and ended up having to call them to find out what was going on.

While the help desk techie was excellent and knew straight away what the problem was, (I suspect he'd had a few more calls about the same issue) it was annoying.

Like this post
KremmenUK

Likes # 0

I'm using a Netgear DG834GT with O2 BB with great success.

If you trundle over to the O2 community forum there are a number of recommended routers with their individual settings.

Like this post
adam32

Likes # 0

"I'm pretty sure that if you buy another router, the user name and password (default) will be printed on it. For example, a Netgear router uses admin and password as its default."

How can a Netgear or any other router contain the username and password for my ADSL connection? I think that you misread my question.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

admin/password is the default to access the router pages. From there you will need to input your ISP's password to connect once the router is set up.

Like this post
adam32

Likes # 0

You are still misreading my question. I know how to configure routers, but this has nothing at all to do with router logins. It is about ISP logins. I am used to ADSL ISPs that issue an ADSL user-name and password. For example, my last ISP used the account name plus phone number for the ADSL user-name. But O2 does not have this (as far as I can see) and I wanted to know whether any other router would expect me to have such data, as my previous routers always did. At least, from the other answers, I know that other routers will work with O2.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

o2 uses LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) which in turn uses it's own hardware.

An ADSL user name and password is not necessary or indeed issued.

Like this post
adam32

Likes # 0

Thanks, LastChip.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow