We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which router

StellaArtois63

Likes # 0

Hi Folks, I seem to be having trouble with my router it crashes a lot and seem to slow my PC down. I have a lot of problems opening programs and when I do try the router is going beserk lights flashing and going amber. I run a XP pc and it uses a Netgear WGR614 router which is nearly 4 years old. I am not sure but when the guy set up the router I do not belive he used the CD to install it (I may be wrong)So it has never had any updates. Can a router slow the pc down ?
Could anyone give me advice to either sort this router out or can someone advise me which router to buy. It has to be hardwired to the pc and one xbox 360 and is also used via wireless on another xbox 360.
It also needs to be extremely easy to set up as I am worried I will muck it up and wont be able to use the xbox again or the internet come to think of it.

Like this post
Bike-it

Likes # 0

I am also looking for a new router and after a lot of searching i have narrowed the search down to these two the Billion 7800N and the Linksys WAG320N. but its looking like i will purchase the Billion 7800N whenever broadbandbuyer get it back into stock.
I have always bought Netgear routers but this time i will try a different brand to see if it is any better in terms of performance.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As you're using a Netgear WGR614, you must have Cable broadband. A "Cable/DSL" router is much easier to set up than an ADSL Modem/Router and in most cases it will work out of the box with the default settings, although its "wireless" settings may need to be configured. You don't need to use a CD to set it up. To establish if it's the router that is causing you problems, just unplug the ethernet cable and see if the PC is still running slowly. If it does turn out to be a problem with the router, try performing a "hard reset" back to factory default settings and see if that sorts it.

If it was supplied by Virgin Media, it might not be possible to update the router's firmware. I have a WGR614 originally supplied by Telewest and its firmware cannot be upgraded.

Like this post
StellaArtois63

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. After chatting a bit to the Teccy's at work we came to to conclusion that the computor is getting like its owner, and thats Old and slow. It surprised me to find out the PC is 7 years old and as most of you guys know, that is an antique in the PC world. So basically a nice new fast one has now been ordered. I just wish it was that easy to speed me up. Thanks again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback