We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Building my own simple website - advice please

Havent-a-clue

Likes # 0

Hello,

I am looking for advice on building my own website. Having read through some of the threads, I appreciate that this is a common subject but in order to get the best out of any answers, I thought it best to start a new thread.

The website will be for my family tree research, I am just looking for a simple set up with some text & a few pictures on each page & not much else, at least for now.

I notice that there are some programms for building a site, but being a total novice, its all very foreign to me & a lot of work for such a simple end result.

Would I be better off using a web hoster??
I have spoken to a few on the phone & it all seems quite cheap & simple, but is it??

Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Simon.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Hmmm...

First thing is the actual design. Do it all on bits of paper first so that you know what you actually want on the site.

When it comes to actually starting to build, my principle advice would be to stay away from MS Front Page! It has too many added, unnecessary and unwanted features. I have heard, through here, that the Serif website builder is quite good?

A lot of website hosters rely on designing sites for people - it makes income. Like any trade, there are the good and the bad. The safest was with hosters is to have a friend that can give personal advice based on practical experience.

Hopefully, that's a starting point for you.

CtA

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I would Use Storm Internet click here as my Host; Their 'Windows ASP Essentials' Hosting package is great at £24.99 per year.
Their help to customers that know nothing about hosting is simply fantastic. I know that because I knew nothing when I started my first website and they answered all my questions, sometimes more than three times in order to help me. Check their Testimonials page click here

For the website software, I would recommend Serif Webplus x2. It has some nice templates and is as easy as MS Office Word to use. It is WYSIWYG ( What You See Is What You Get). So if you want to put a box of text and some photos on the page you do just that. No HTML or JAVA code to learn, it is easy to use. Then when you upload your design to the server it will look just the same as it did when you designed it on the PC.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

PS you can get webplus for £15.00 on Amazon

Like this post
Havent-a-clue

Likes # 0

Hi,
Thank you all for your help,
Its made a daunting task, seem less so.

Another question if I may..

I have several names in my family tree, for example - Hayhurst, Fishwick, Jones, Ludbrook etc.

I would like one website, with a page or two for each name, seems quite simple.

What i'm hoping is that when other people search for, say the name Hayhurst my website will appear in the results.

But...

Would the surname have to be in the click here or could it be somewhere in the website itself & still appear in the results???

If it doesn't, then does that mean i'll need a website for each surname???

Also, I understand that i'll need to let Google know that i'd like my website to appear in the results, is there a charge for this?
Do I need to have banners as a result?

I'll post a link on here when I have built it, see what you think.

Thank you all for your valuable time.

Kind regards, Simon.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

The Surnames will not have to be in the Web Address. You can have a separate page for each Surname and clever use of each Page Title and 'Metatags' (don't worry about those yet, we will help you with them later)will help search engines like Google to guide people to the page.

A good menu system on the 'Home' page will also let visitors select any Surnames they are interested in.

You will not be charged for a Google Listing and you will not require any advertising banners on your site.

Your web host will be able to submit your site details to Google and if you use Storm, they do that monthly for you, automatically after you set the Site Description and Keywords you want submitted.
The Site description is the, well it is the text that you read when Google returns any search you perform.

Like this post
Havent-a-clue

Likes # 0

Thank you all, for your help & advice.

I will make a start shortly, not quite so daunting now.

Thanks again, Simon.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

the comments made by fourm member about Google.

There's a great deal of misunderstanding about metatags, and the need to submit to Google.

Google completely ignores metatags, so forget about them. Concentrate on the H1 and H2 tags instead, and don't even think about SEO - it's a complete waste of time as far as Google is concerned.

Google will find you without any outside assistance.

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Office Live - it's free click here

Like this post
caddlesee

Likes # 0

hiya a good place to start is x10hosting
they offer a great service i use them for free
unlimited space, free domain you can even get a co.cc name for free it has cpanel with loads of features fantastico wordpress blogging software and loads more
take a look they also have help forums
regards chris
and good luck

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

May I suggest a different tack if you have a Family History Program in your computer? If not, download one eg brothers keeper, which has a free version, and put your data in this, first.

Create a gedcom file and upload it to click here or click here.

As I see it, the problem with going to a hosted site is that you could lose all your data if you stop paying the subscription, and have not got the original data in your computer first.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback