We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dropped wireless connection

bert52a

Likes # 0

i upgraded my account with aol about 2 months ago enticed by the offer of faster speeds.I've got faster speeds on the pc nearest to the router but the 2 other pcs keep dropping the signal.Before the upgrade I could get it all round the house.
I've contacted aol help about a dozen times but they haven't been able to improve things.
my os is vista
others windows 7 and xp
they both worked fine before so I'm sure the problem isn't with the machines.
my router is a dlink D2460R
cheers

Like this post
mikesuther

Likes # 0

Does the connection reestablish if you restart the router? to be fair i think it could be a coincadence that this has happened as i had something similar happen when i upgraded my router. I had to make sure that every item that connects directly to the phone line has a micro filter connected, to be honest i had thought i had done this but forgot the sky box and once i had done this it resolved my problem. may be worth giving your router a reboot and checking that all items have a micro filter connected to the phone line

Like this post
bert52a

Likes # 0

this was the first thing aol suggested.I have filters on all the phones.I don't have any other wireless devices-sky box or anything like that.
One technician said you need to change the filters every 4 months but I think this is nonsense
thanks, mikesuther

Like this post
bert52a

Likes # 0

sorry read it too quickly.I'll test to see if switching off router and on again makes a difference.

Like this post
bert52a

Likes # 0

if I turn the router off and then back on the connection is re-established but then it dies again.
What seems really odd is that it shows the signal strenth as excellent!

Like this post
Bike-it

Likes # 0

i had a lend of the same router and it was crap dropping connection every ten minutes or so, went back to my netgear which is a lot better, but not perfect

Like this post
zarobian

Likes # 0

Enter click here into the address box of your Browser and hit return.
This will connect you to your router. Enter user name as admin and leave the password blank. Hit return.

From the page now open click on wireless tab.
1.Check your SSId;
2.Channels - select from 6 to 11-try 11. Do not select auto.
3. Security - WPA2
PSK/EAP - select PSK
Password - upto you
Mind you the problem could be channel selected. It may have a conflict with your neighbourer. Good look.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......