We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New router pain

gamerdom

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice please. I have AOL at home and we were using an old router, which while serviceable, was a little slow and increasingly delivering a patchy connection. After some research I bought a Billion BiPAC 7300N as it seemed to offer the best connectivity for our household as the kids increasingly get online and look to play videos and games online.

The trouble is, that although I have installed the new router in exactly the same position as the old one; and the laptops are saying they have a good 100+mbps connection; the internet speed on all our computers have slowed to a virtual crawl, with pages taking a long time to load and sometimes even seeming to hang completely.

Can anyone explain why this might be? The wireless connection seems solid; I have checked and there appears no problem with our phone lines but the internet is becoming almost unusable - especially if more than one user tries to log on at one time.

I am not very technical, but getting very frustrated by the lack of speed!

Thanks

Dom

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What sort of performance do you get if you connect only *one* computer to the router with a *wired* ethernet connection?

Like this post
gamerdom

Likes # 0

with one PC it is still slow; but it appears a lot worse with more than one.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Have you contacted AOL Customer Support about the problem? I don't know if it's still the case but, at one time, not all routers could be used with AOL because AOL didn't adhere strictly to conventional protocols. I also seem to think that AOL used PPPoE rather than the PPPoA protocol used by all other ADSL in the UK. Try playing with that setting in the router and see if it makes a difference.

Like this post
gamerdom

Likes # 0

plugging in the Ethernet cable doesn't help significantly to the speed.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

AOL do use PPPoE now. I also believe the MTU has to be set to 1400.

Like this post
gamerdom

Likes # 0

Yes apparently they do use PPPoE now - how do I set the MTU?

Thanks

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

click here is the manual. Look at pages 27 and 31. Good luck.

Like this post
gamerdom

Likes # 0

sorry that link doesn't seem to be working

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

try downloading it from here click here - or it should be on a CD which came with the router.

Like this post
gamerdom

Likes # 0

Thanks changing the MTU to 1400 seemed to do the trick - it was set at 1500. Thanks very much for the help!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten