We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connect netbook to wireless network

vally

Likes # 0

I have a new MSI Wind U160 netbook, in windows help, it says, to connect your laptop to your wireless network, open Connect to a Network, there should be a list of networks to choose from, but there is no list, I already have the netbook connected to my router by ethernet cable and the netbook wireless switch is turned on, I have found the wireless adapter in device manager and it says the device is not working correctly windows cannot load the drivers (code31)but when i update drivers is says the driver software is up to date, so it has a problem and i don't know what to do next, and i don't know what code 31 is

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The Code 31 error tends to relate to a problem in the registry, which prevents the drivers from loading.

A possible course of action would be to uninstall the Wireless Network Adapter in Device Manager, run a registry cleaner (such as that in Ccleaner), reboot, when Windows should "find new hardware", and reinstall the wireless adapter.

Ccleaner from click here

Windows XP drivers for MSI Wind U160 click here

Windows 7 drivers for MSI Wind U160 click here

You could actually try running Ccleaner's Registry Scanner first of all, without uninstalling the adapter, to see if it fixes the problem.

Like this post
vally

Likes # 0

thanks mgmcc
I have been wondering if what i need is on the cd that came with it, but as there is no cdrom in a netbook i can't load it, the cd contains driver, utilities and manual, can these files be copied to a usb memory stick and then loaded from there?
vally

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Yes, you can copy the files from the CD on to a USB stick.

Like this post
vally

Likes # 0

thanks that's good to hear, hope to get around to that soon and let you know

Like this post
vally

Likes # 0

MGMCC
copied files and installed ok, also uninstalled the wireless adapter, then re-installed, and it is now working ok, didn't need to do registry cleaner
thanks
vally

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad