We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

missing download speed

sidandlil

Likes # 0

Hi, I am on talktalk broadband and am having trouble with my download speed. I ran their tests and my download speed is 1.8meg at best,more often about 1.4 meg. They asked me to test my network using a tool of theirs and it failed on a few issues with a code of 103. I have tried a new router they sent out but still the same, they then asked me to try the network test on another pc. I used my partner's little netbook and the tests worked perfectly. I then did a speed test on hers and it was around the 7 meg mark, considerably higher than the readings on my pc. It appears that somehow I am not getting the full "flow" ( dont know if that is the right term). Is there some setting I can alter to put this right. I have tried using the ethernet cable and it is the same so I think I can discount the netgear wireless dongle.I have tried in safe mode with networking too and this made no difference.

Thanks for any help at all

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Have you always connected with a Modem/Router or did you previously connect with a USB ADSL Modem? If you have used a USB Modem, did you uninstall its software when changing to the Modem/Router, because leaving it in place can cause a conflict.

Like this post
sidandlil

Likes # 0

I was with virgin previously using their supplied modem and a netgear router.I have never used a usb modem,either adsl or cable.
Even if I connect my pc to the modem ( echolife) by cable I am only getting around 25% of the download speed compared to the netbook.There is virtually no noticeable difference between the reading if i connect by cable or wireless so it is not losing speed due to lack of connection. It is as though something is throttling my speed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...