We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop (XP) to a Xbox 360

G4V1N

Likes # 0

I have a xbox360 and i was wandering if anyone could help me get it connected to my laptop so i could take all the music off it. i am networking with a cross over cable. and it just won't connect.

your help is appriciated

G

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Have you configured the IP addresses in the TCP/IP Properties of the two network adapters?

If not, in XP open the Network Connections folder ("Control Panel > Network Connections"), right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

Click "Use the following IP address" and type in:

IP address 192.168.3.1

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Leave the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses blank because this isn't an Internet connection. I selected that IP address to avoid conflict with your router's address which could have 0, 1 or 2 as the third 'octet' (number) of its address. I'm not familiar with the interface of an Xbox, but give it the address 192.168.3.2 with the *same* Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

If you're using third-party firewall software in the PC, it may need to be configured to allow access to the 192.168.3.1 and 192.168.3.2 IP addresses.

If the Local Area Connection is normally used to connect to your router for internet access, you will need to go back into the TCP/IP Properties and set *BOTH* IP and DNS sections back to getting their addresses automatically.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......