We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

In need of website editing help please!!!! :)

clairec

Likes # 0

Hello!

I am in desperate need of someone to help me / show me how to change a few typo's on my website and upload some photos to it too and also a few other minor changes. The guy who started to build it for me has gone AWOL and I really need a good looking site to help promote my new business. I bought hosting from blackfoot and have a few of the passwords but am not sure whatelse you would need to crack into it and change it!? I hope this makes sense - i'm not IT literate in the slightest but am willing ti make the changes myself provided I have clear instructions!

Oh and the url is click here. And any feedback re:changes you recommend to it would be most welcome!

Thanks you so much for taking the time to read this!!

Claire.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Basically, what you need to do is download (from Blackfoot's servers) the pages you want to edit, to your computer using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client like SmartFTP click here, edit the pages in a web design package and then upload them again to Blackfoot's servers using the FTP Client. Here's a little tutorial click here from the Blackfoot website's Support pages. click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

don't post any server passwords here, in your thread. That might sound like elementary advice, but it's been done before, and you did say you are not IT literate in the slightest, forgive me if I've stated the obvious.

That said, if you need help with changing your access login in your server control panel you might like to send me the current login details by email: [email protected] and I'll do it for you.

fourm member's advice about preventing anyone else from getting at the site is sound.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

Just to reiterate the advice above, your site is not set up to work with search engines, or users too well.

Important you secure the domain and server but beyond that, rather than think about editing would be better to consider starting again. Whilst there are a number of other aspects to sort out beyond basic configuration, that in itself is a real barrier, as is the design.

There are plenty of posts here on creating websites using WYSIWYG software, not ideal but most are a notable improvement on the current situation. Appreciate this will cause delay but worthwhile in the longer term, as is a little research on working with search engines. This might give you a start:

click here

A few more useful pages at:

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK