We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Build a shop and gallery for photos

leolas

Likes # 0

Hello,

i'm a hobby photographer and i want to build a website to show my pictures. Later i could imagine to sell some of them (posters). Can anybody spend some references for a programm that is easy to use? it must not open source, but even ot to expensive, too.

Like this post
leolas

Likes # 0

I've a second question. What do you think about online-services like homestead or offline solutions like web to date?

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

How many images are you talking about?

If it is just a few, like 30-60 then Serif Webplus would do just fine. If it is 100+ I would think a Shopping Cart like Zencart would be better.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi leolas

You might be better to avoid ideas like Homestead, or most online sitebuilders. Better to have a site you are more in control of and can easily adapt to your needs. Ideally building this yourself in (X)HTML/CSS or at worst using one of the better WYSIWYG builders.

Then you can incorporate your choice of image display and one which works well for customers plus search engines. With both in mind, nothing wrong with the type of galleries you see on this site:

click here

Plenty to choose from and very accessible. Depending on the volume and approach you might not need a shopping cart solution, just buy now buttons to a free cart, even paypal. If you do want to build with dedicated software to start with, lots to choose from e.g.

click here

If you were looking for a halfway house, a straightforward content management system which builds reasonable sites, take a look at:

click here

Easy to learn, free, several image gallery plugins and a few have managed to build cart type sites. This is XML based though rather than a true database so not suitable for that type of operation on any scale.

Like this post
leolas

Likes # 0

Thank you guys. At the first time I will try only a few pictures. I think Wordpress with a shop-plugin could be a cheap solution. Wordpress offered a big community, too. What do you think?

Like this post
freshmind

Likes # 0

i tried web to date for a while and it's quite good to build websites without html knowledge.
but in your case it coul be difficult to get users to your site. have you think about shutterstock or fototalia? because it could be difficult to get users. maybe an online solution have more advantages for a higher request.

Like this post
leolas

Likes # 0

Thank you for answers.

@freshmind
Yes, you are right. It seems to be very difficult to get demand. i think, i start with an online portal like fototalia.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...