We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should We Be Designing For IE6?

SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

I'm designing a [reasonably simple] web site for a friend who is an Osteopath and it is coming together quite nicely. However, as usual, IE6 is the problem child - in this case, because it doesn't understand "li:hover", it breaks conditional display of the multi-level menu system.

Now, I can fix this using java (which I normally try to avoid since I don't like making my sites java-specific) BUT I got to thinking....should we even be still trying to cater for IE6 quirks when it requires extra work to code around these oddities?

Taking at look at the w3schools broswer stats click here (even noteing all the caveats) suggests that IE6 usage (especially private IE6 usage) is way way down. Moroever, with all the efforts being made to shift users off it, should we be encouraging them to stick on it by designing for it? After all, how many of us still code for Netscape 3 compatability :-)

I know accepted wisdom is that we code for as wide a range of browsers as possible. Also, are we loosing 'market share' by not making a site compatible with as much as possible? In my view, this **might** be something a corporate wants to consider but my friend is a small local osteopathic clinic and he just wants a web presence - most of his business still comes by word of mouth.

So, what do people think.....

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

I don't bother with IE6 any more. IMHO, nobody should still be using it.

Having said that, I do make simple changes if it will make it work, but I don't let IE6 dictate how to build the site.

I have built websites for two osteopaths and they both really just want an online brochure. Like your friend, they get most of their clients through word of mouth.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Because they'd like the web site to actually have a bit of information about them, the two therapists and the treatments they offer. So, rather than just jamming everything on a single page like you see quite often in samll sites, it makes sense to use a simple multi-level menu system to package the information in small relevant bites.

So, any thoughts re my IE6 question....

Like this post
craigh78

Likes # 0

Here is another blog I came across that would help you click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad