We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thinking about Wordpress

IClaudio

Likes # 0

for a site that I have been managing for several years... I created a straightforward web site some years ago for an organisation and they have been happy with it. But I need to update News and so on on a regular basis - I would like to get them involved in updating the pages themselves.

Wordpress may be the way to go... my Host has a 1-click Install of Wordpress: should I create a test folder (mydomain/wordpress_test) and develop the Wordpress site there? And, once happy with the site, how do I replace my current site with the Wordpress version?

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

Thanks fourm member, I've heard this from other people... so Wordpress maybe not the way to go. But, I would still like to experiment.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

I wouldn't move a site into Wordpress for these reasons either. Run in blog format this needs careful management and used for other formats a fair amount of experience. Neither is it always ideal for those formats. Like many popular WYSIWYGs, the belief of easy use is an illusion if you want to run a site efficiently.

You might be just as well to use a hosted CMS such as click here or click here No hassle and you can develop the site however you wish.

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

I run a web-site for my business that was created in WordPress. When I initally wanted a web-presence I played with WordPress and could just make a reasonably OK web-site.

After hiring someone who created a wordpress template modifying the code for my requirement,the web-site looks much better now.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

... I'd like to be able to install Wordpress to a directory on the site, experiment, then make it the root directory if I get somewhere. Can this be done easily?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Yes, it can.

Create a sub-directory on the server, and call it anything you like.

Create your MySQL database - most good web hosts will have an automated routine for doing this.

Install Wordpress to the sub-directory.

Open your browser, and type this in the address bar:

click here

inserting your domain name and sub-directory name.

Now you can configure Wordpress, and play to your heart's content.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

Thanks FE, that's what I wanted to know!

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

...then, when I'm ready to go live on the WordPress version of the site, what route do I take?

I'm working my way through the WordPress docs, but I can't find the specific method... yet!

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

Still fiddling, and I'm happy with what I have.

How do I now point my site to the WordPress files?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014