We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Social Networking for Business

The Tetrahedron

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

I am a 3D Artist. I create 3D Models for sale, and when complete they are uploaded to a website called Turbosquid.

Currently I have had no sales and I am looking at ways of generating more traffic. One option I have been looking at is social networking to generate interest in my work. I have created a Blog and I am looking at expanding on this buy using sites such as Facebook. However, I am not a fan of Facebook, but I have come to realize it may be a necessary evil.

Before I create a profile on Facebook, is there anything I need to be mindful of when using this website such as security, ownership of content and so on.

Also are there alternatives I could use?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Hmmm... I've had a look at the website quoted; and I admit that there are some quite good graphics there. But, I imagine that there is quite a small requirement for those imagines from an external source. Surely a majority of the people who need those sorts of graphics have their own in-house facilities?

Your question raises further questions in my mind:

* Who is _your_ target audience and do they need your graphics?

* How are the sales for other people in the market.

* How do you imagine a Facebook presence will increase your sales?

* Does your target audience know you ave a blog?

* Have you thought of freebies to get some people interested?

* Have you done some research on end users and sent a few free samples off to them?

In any free-lance industry, you can't sit back and hope that people might see your work in passing; you've got to let the audience know who and where you are - and remind them constantly. The free-lance market is too tough and competitive. My 'ex' has a son-in-law who is a known 'comic' artist and he quite often struggles to find work - even though he is known.

Sorry that it all sounds rather negative; but I'm afraid things all too often are in any free-lance market.

Like this post
The Tetrahedron

Likes # 1

hi Chris the Ancient,

Finding a specific target audience is difficult. Because of this I am developing a wider range of products. I am focusing on creating models that are stand alone, items that can be placed in to a pre-existing scene.

One of the reasons why I am looking at Facebook is not for the hard sell but to generate interest in my work. If people like what I am creating then they may be inclined to purchase it.

I am also looking at Facebook as way to divert traffic to my blog and products.This way my target audience will have a better understanding of what I create and where it can be bought.

I have also created a high-detail bust which has been given away for free. It has received in excess of 600 downloads so people like my work. However my other items which are for sale haven't sold.

I agree that I cant sit back and hope for the best. This is why I am looking at ways of networking and generating interest in what I am doing.

You are not being negative, it is a struggle. However the great thing about Turbosquid is you can set it and forget it. All I need to do is find the right products and let people know they are there.

Like this post
johnathann

Likes # 0

While creating a profile for your Business. Create it as a page so that you can recommend that page to other Profilers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer