We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which desktop to buy ?

nokka

Likes # 0

I run a small business and use my current PC (Acer Aspire) for large parts of the day. I don't tend to do anything too fancy; the majority of what I do is based on Office, or doing work online and of course sending and receiving emails. I tend to be online much of the day.

Sadly, my Acer is slowing down significantly and I feel it is time to buy a new PC.

I bought the July 2010 edition of PC Adviser as it had the Best Buys in the sub £500 category, which I reckoned was where I wanted to be. I confess I hadn't heard of the companies which came top (Eclipse, Chillblast) and usually prefer to deal with better known brands. There also seemed quite a lot of stuff about graphics cards and I don't do gaming, so wondered whether I wasn't really their market. In addition, I got the impression they are perhaps aimed at an enthusiast, which I'm not. I just need the PC for various office functions.

I feel I need a decent sized hard disk (My Acers is only 115GB, so probably anything will be better than that) and a good amount of RAM ( Acer has 480MB only). I don't particularly need a new monitor, but may have if its included at a reasonable price. A DVD RW (is that type of thing standard now ?) would be good, plus lots of USB ports.

What do you think I should buy ? Wouldn't really want to spend over £500.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

How about a Dell?

click here

To see an Inspiron 570 - it's right up your street in terms of specification. It comes without a monitor, but if your current monitor was purchased at the same time as your computer it may be time to think about a new flat panel if the budget would stretch to it.

My recommendation is that you build yourself a machine on the Dell site, and see how it goes - it's an easy process, you can add/remove things until you're comfortable with the cost.

Good luck - feel free to ask for further help and/or advise if you need it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow