We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems connecting Netgear DG834G to BT Homehub

ishoudknowthis

Likes # 0

I have BT HomeHub v2 providing my broadband internect connection and a wireless network. This works fine. However, I have a number of PCs that are not wireless enabled, and also a currently unused Netgear DG834G wireles ADSL2+ modem router.

I thought I would try and get the DG834G router to act as a 'wireless client' to the HomeHub, and then plug the PCs into the Ethernet (wired) ports of the DG834G.

Unfortunately, I am unable to get the DG834G to connect to the Homehub. I have configured the following settings on the DG834G:
- Set the wireless SSID, channel number, encryption type (WPA-PSK) and network key to be identical to that on the Homehub
- Disabled NAT
- Configured a static LAN IP address within the range assigned by the DHCP server on the HomeHub
- Disabled DHCP (this is on the DG834G)
- Enabled Wireless bridging and repeating
- Selected the "Repeater with Wireless Client Assciation" and entered the MAC address of the Homehub's wireless adapter

I then rebooted the DG834G, but it is not being recognised at all by the Homehub. Does anyone know if what I am trying to do is possible, and if so, what confiugrations I need to set to get it to work?

If it helps, the homehub firmware is "4.7.5.1.83.3.5 (Type B)", and the DG834G firmware is "V5.01.16"

Many thanks in advance

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

BT Home Hub V2 doesn't support wireless bridging. If you want to slave the Netgear to the Hub then you need to use ethernet or home plugs. Are you hoping to use the Netgear in a different room? Otherwise why not use the Home Hub's ethernet sockets?

Like this post
ishouldknowthis

Likes # 0

Thanks for this.

The PCs are located some way distant from the Homehub, which is why I was trying to use the Netgear. Although I don't understand why the Netgear router can't just pass through the PC's traffic without a new protocol on the Homehub, I'll accept that it can't. I guess the only way is to wireless enable the PCs, after all.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

If there's cost invovled you could weigh up the cost of the Wifi adaptors for the non-enabled PCs or a couple of home plugs.

using another Router as a switch and/or wireless access point does work - I've done it myself, gitst with a long enthernet cable and later with a couple of home plugs.

Also if the computers are "some way" from the Home Hub, there could be reception problems. That's why I set up my arrangement!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good