We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Career in Web Design & Qualifications

PaulBanks321

Likes # 0

Hi, i am currently studying a Sports Science degree at university. I have come to the conclusion that this area is over-crowded and not interesting anymore.

When i was 16, i was designing logos and websites as a freelancer and did quite well considering i had no teaching or qualifications.

I am eager to understand the different types of qualifications that are available out there; and the different possible ways i can aquire the qualifications i need to take a career in IT Web Design.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

pretty well. There was a time when people considered website design as bit of a mystery - something that was done by a relatively small number of people, and done well by an even smaller number.

Software developers saw a gap in the market, and site construction applications began to pop up like daisies in summer. I say 'construction applications' because that's what they were - software that enabled people to build sites, rather than design them.

There's a difference between designing a site and getting it up onto a server so all the world can see it. Lots of people are very good at site construction but they lack the ability to design - they need someone else's ideas about layout, colour, mood, etc., and they can't write a decent paragraph of text.

It's rare for someone to possess both the design skills and the technical ability to translate a design into on-line reality, and that's where good software comes into its own. Nowadays a decent designer can use any one of several excellent products to create a working site from his/her design concepts - it's no longer necessary to have much (if any) knowledge of coding. Designers can call on freelancers when they need special server-side facilities for data-driven sites and complex e-commerce situations.

My advice to newcomers has always been the same - be honest with yourself about your abilities, and play to your strengths. If you're a technical wizard with little design sense concentrate on that, and if you're a designer who can't set up a database, don't waste time - there are plenty of people who will do that for you. A career in web-design might appeal, but think very carefully; the market is crowded, and clients aren't exactly throwing money around just now. You might spend some time reflecting on what fourm member has said about the future.

Like this post
progcomputeach

Likes # 0

alternatively you could consider web applications which allow you write functional programs which sit on a web server. This would be programming.

They are written in a programming language(typically C# or VB). If you studied C# then you could study for some exams. Interested?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...