We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sub Domains or New Domain Name

Proclaimer

Likes # 0

What is the negative effect of creating sub domains on my site to host new shops?

I have www mydomain .co.uk and I have a shop there. I now plan to open three more shops they are related in so far as they follow a Pagan, Gothic, Celtic, Mystical, arts, crafts and jewellery theme. So I thought Make a 'Mall Entrance' at the top of the Domain and then have Sub Domains like;

Gothic.MyDomain .co.uk as a shop
Celtic.MyDomain .co.uk as a shop
Mystic.MyDoman .co.uk as a shop

and should I open more shops I have unlimited Sub Domain Creation and Unlimited mySQL Databases on my Domain.

So should I continue that way or go for a separate Domain for each shop?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

in view of the connection between the various shops. There isn't really a downside, as long as you create and maintain a strict file-management routine.

One of the potential problems with multiple sub-domains is the ease with which you can rapidly get into a terrible muddle.

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

Another issue is that probably for SEO purposes, having sub-domains can have a negative effect, especially if the subdomains are being used as a shop and getting visibility on search engines is important.

Like I said, I may be wrong and someone else may offer more advise on this particular matter.

I use sub-domains for hosting "test" sites for clients so they can know what they are getting and then work on the client's domain for the final site

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

Appreciate this is originally an old thread but as ajm posted and kindly raised the suggestion on adding information, may help anyone finding this.

Both main search engines to an extent and Google in particular treat subdomains or subfolders in much the same way. They are also significantly influenced by how the site using them treats their own set up.

If you use the subdomains/subfolders as an integral part of the site, they will recognise that situation. Should you isolate them as separate entities, this will equally be recognised.

Whilst structure and internal linking are relevant to SEO in general, including in the context mentioned above, there's no SEO downside as such to using subdomains.

They are essentially just URLs, the value of what they offer is the key, as with any page. Incidentally, unless you have a particular reason subfolders are often easier to manage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'