We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What hardware/software to buy for printing?

i-dunno

Likes # 0

Hi all,
I am looking for the right hardware and/or software for my business. I primarily need to be able to construct and print monthly sales presentation offers. These need to be of a high professional spec.
I've used office and powerpoint and they are ok for basic printing of images, but I now need to move into the 21st century!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Come on! Give us some clues! 10 or 10,000, one page flyer with text and a photo or small booklets?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

A question:

Are you going to print these yourself or send them out?

An answer:

'but not necessarily the one you want'

If, the latter, I believe that a Mac and Quark (Express) which is the Industry standard software but you may have to pay £2,000, or so, for the two. This is not something that you can start using on a whim, there is a steep learning curve.

There are many, simpler, cheaper, programs out there and you can use a PC, but don't use M$ Publisher, no-one can read it's files.

Like this post
i-dunno

Likes # 0

Ok Wiz-king, I suppose I was being a bit vague!

I need to be able to print off an A4 sized promotions sheet, doing approx 300 a month.
I want to be able to get images printed to a high quality as a background and be able to overlap it with print.

I am a sole trader in the hair and beauty business. These promotions sheets would be dropped into the salons every month with different monthly deals on them. As I am competing against the likes of L'oreal, wella etc, I need my marketing to be of a high quality, yet be possible for myself to accomplish!

As I said before, I've used powerpoint and word in the past, but it just looks too basic for my needs.

Like this post
i-dunno

Likes # 0

Cheers wee eddie.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You need:

1. a PC ~ almost basic one will do. say £400 - £500.

2. A colour Laser Printer ~ see the PCA Reviews for recommendations, but £300 should do the trick. Even though Colour Lasers do not print at quite quality of Ink-jets, the page quality is good, it's faster, waterproof and the cost, per page, is considerably less.

3. Desktop Publishing Program ~ Serif has a good reputation and has a 'free' Version click here

Like this post
i-dunno

Likes # 0

Thanks for your advice Eddie. That looks as though it'll do the job. Much appreciated.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If the pictures you use are 'commercial' ones make sure you have the owners permission to use them. click here there are plenty of free images out there a sample click here

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I use an OKI C5600DN and its colour prints are great. That model is now out of production, but there are newer and probably better printers in OKI's on-line store. I also use Serif Page Plus X5 and have useds Serif's software ( and others ) for many years. Logon to click here and check out its offerings, but do not pay the suggested prices. They are always having special offers!

Like this post
Mike_tech

Likes # 0

I use HP printer & software. It's good for me.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

This thread was started over a year ago.

I would suspect it was resolved but no ticked.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...