We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scrolling text

stlucia

Likes # 0

I would like to place a single line of scrolling text within one of the pages of a web site I maintain for a club. I do all my coding by hand, and would prefer to continue that way rather than relying on a web design package.

Is there an HTML command that will do the job for me? If not, am I right in thinking I need to use JavaScript? If so, can someone point me in the direction of a good basic tutorial, please.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Just search for "marquee html"

First three results on google bring up

click here

click here

HTML Marquee Generator click here

Like this post
stlucia

Likes # 0

Thanks, cycoze, that's just the job. The marquee command doesn't feature in the HTML reference I've got -- presumably my reference doesn't include all extensions.

Your first link suggests that it might not work with all browsers -- is that an issue with modern computers running, say, XP and upwards?

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Not an operating system problem but one with different browsers. A marquee tag may typically work with IE but nor Firefox, Chrome and others.

You might be better looking at a script, several here:

click here

Like this post
stlucia

Likes # 0

Thanks, Ansolan. I've checked a simple html file containing a marquee command, and it at least works with IE7 and Firefox 3.5.7, so I think I'll use it instead of a more-complicated script.

I was going to try it in Chrome as well, but I couldn't find any "File Open" button so I could open the file that's on my HDD at the moment :-(

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

To open your file in Chrome, if you are running Windows right click on the file and select Open With.

Trouble is that's no guarantee. Just opened this page in Chrome click here purely because the page is reporetd as not working in Chrome, yet works fine for me running the dev channel version.

Same issue with Firefox, may run in your version but stands absolutely still in mine - 3.0.17 - So will depend what visitors are running but not widely supported.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014