We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Web design software

steve263000

Likes # 0

I have built a few sites in the past but that was a couple of years ago and due to work and home problems have not had the time to go back and update them.

However I am retiring soon and will have some more time and would like to go back and redo my sites and perhaps build something else. Can someone let me know good WYSIWYG software that has a reasonable learning curve to it? Free if possible and note the word 'retiring'! I don't want it to complicated if possible!

Thanks in advance. Steve

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

You could try KompoZer: click here

I have had a quick play with it and it seems quite good. However, I haven't gone into any depth with it.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

The reason that I said free and easy is that I will only have a limited time even after retirement. I will have a disabled wife to look after as well. I would have liked to take web design classes but I just will not be able to leave her for a good amount of time.

I have looked at KompoZer and it looks OK but for me probably a bit more of a learning curve than I want at the moment. I still have front page on my old computer and have used that.

Can I still build with that even though it is not supported these days?

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Thanks forum member. I will wait now for a couple of months until I finish up and then try FP again. As you have said fairly uncomplicated sites, (and that is all that I would do) should be OK

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

What does the forum think of this software. click here The price is negligable and it seems to do what I want. FP of course although useable is getting out of date and at least this is up to date.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

I suggest you read up on Content Management Systems (CMS) such as Joomla and Drupal to see if they fit the bill (and they are free).

Like this post
123joey123

Likes # 0

I suggest you buy Serif Web Plus X4
It is very cheap for what you get and it will do anything any web designer could want

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Thanks Joey. I am still looking through the options. I might go with Dreamweaver and spend the money. But Net Objects fusion 10 has been given away with PCA this month and I have tried that before and that is another option. I thank you all for the help and advice and will close this as resolved now.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Well I have finished now and after paying the bills my funds are a little lower than I had hoped. BUt I do want to get back in to the web and I have found a few bits of software I would like some advice on.

click here The price is in my bracket but is it good?

click here What about this one? WebEasy8?

If you can think of more that I have missed please let me know. As you will see from the ones that I have chosen it will be more for personal use and simplicity. I do not expect to make it a business. If that came I would have to think again.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

I have finally decided after thinking about it and searching the web to go for Serif Web Plus X4. I will close this post now and thanks to all that posted comments and help.

The reason for this post is the price of the item. Serif want £79.95 for the software, but after a quick search on Ebay, I found it for £50, a good saving and making it worth the money for sure.

I just hope that I can get good use out of it. When I have changed my site I will put it here for critique. Once again thanks for the help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...