We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to remove old links in google

TOMSTEPHENSON1

Likes # 0

I have very old google search links still showing
months after my website has changed and rendered the information on the site or page a vistor sees inaccurate.
I have made new site maps and uploaded them with google tools.
In some cases the eg a .co.uk site has been replaced by a .com site and the old .co.uk site is found in google searches.
I would appreciate any help on this subject.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Impossible to reply accurately without seeing the situation but the probable answer is that you need to put in place page by page 301 redirects from the old site to the new site. The same would apply if you are referring to changed URLs on the same site. In both cases the pages don't need to be exactly the same, although reasonably on subject is helpful.

This allows Google to associate the old URL with the new equivalent, they will eventually drop the old one and in principle, transfer any value this holds. Any visitors still trying to access the old URLs will also be taken seamlessly to the new one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK