We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

breakdown plans

ellie82

Likes # 0

I am attempting to put in place a formal strategy for tackling break downs of pcs on the network. primarily hardware related to start with.

Does anyone have a formal troubleshooting procedure they currently have in place.

for example I have a pc that boots fine and then without warning decides it will switch straight off. Software problems have been ruled out by returning it to factory shipped settings.

A problem such as this could be caused by a number of the components? overheat perhaps? how would you go about tackling this? where would you start?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

you'll need to supply some more information.

Are all your network machines from the same supplier?

Are they all about the same in terms of hardware and software configurations?

Are they all running the same operating system version?

Are desktop users permitted to make hardware or software configuration changes?

Do you have in-house IT support staff?

How many machines are on the network, and do you have any sub-nets?

What is your file backup procedure?

Provide answers to those questions and I'll be better placed to respond to your question.

Like this post
ellie82

Likes # 0

Hi,
Thanks for the response

Yes - All Dell. Mainly vostro, some older dimensions, precisions.

yes pretty much similar.

no not permitted any longer, admin rights restricted.

Only me as in-house, we have an out-source but the idea is for us to cope with it inhouse for cost purposes etc.

75 on the network approx

all sites are backed up. In the main tape. Users all file to servers, so I am not too concerned with file recover, although could be useful just incase. I normally hook HD's up with a usb to IDE/Sata and retrieve anything that way.

thank you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bear with me while I tackle a small mountain of backlog and I'll respond further.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I've been swamped, and your answer can't be rattled out as quickly as some. If you haven't seen a response by Saturday morning give me a prod via email - click on the little yellow envelope next to my name.

Like this post
ellie82

Likes # 0

Hi,

Any joy on that response? sorry if you are busy.

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...