We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

creating my own website and what softwre to use

maz78601

Likes # 0

hi,

can i have some guys i want to create my own website on selling some electronics as i have a shop thought id go online now this can range from phones to other accessories,

i dont have any knowledge on web designing but i will learn no matter what it is as i have learnt other stuff to use before this

i need a recommendation what you would recommend to use id prefer WYSIWYG software but there are so many this is what i need in them

Add multiple products
Shopping cart
Paypal payments and or credit card aswell
web hosting aswell

can anyone recommend somthing decent as i dont want any site i will work hard on it to make it look profesional and good

cheers

Like this post
Salut

Likes # 0

This may sound unhelpful, however, would you not be better raising this query on the Webdesign forum?

Best wishes for your venture in this New Year.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That is helpful and appropriate advice.

maz78601
Better to post on the Webdesign Forum for the best answers to your questions.

Like this post
The Mountaineer

Likes # 0

My personal experience on this is NOT to use a package or programme but to use the "sitebuilder" tool built into any hosting package. These tools are with every host (I use fasthosts, a friend uses 1&1, and they contain hundreds of templates with different styles, layouts, colours and you can have a website with a few pages up and running within a day. Then you can add lots of pages including for paypal etc as you need.
Once upon a time I used FrontPage then Net Objects and was spending more time fiddling with the programme than running the website! Just visit fasthosts and 1&1 and have a look.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you wish to do e-sales you must be PCI compliant, click here the easiest way is to use a third party card handling company such as click here

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

I suggest you look at Content Management Software (CMS) such as Drupal or Joomla. This software is free and is supported by many web site hosting companies.

Like this post
maz78601

Likes # 0

thanks for the help i have been trying different packages to test if it feels right

out of these would you recommend any

web easy professional
web plus from serif
mr site takeaway

thse are ok for starters and im going to have a look into the ones mentioned from you guys.

Like this post
maz78601

Likes # 0

by the way

The Mountaineer
you mentioned you use fasthost do you get your own web domain or is like them other ones that has the company name in the domain aswell like eg click here

also do fasthost provide cart and paypal payments aswell,

lastly can i have a look at your site if you have done one with them if you dont mind

thanks

Like this post
The Mountaineer

Likes # 0

Maz, heres some links to try and help:
First, this is my site, please bear in mind its a charity site and uses a basic template
click here
Second, it's hosted by Fasthosts (note the spelling)which you can see here click here Browse through the sections on hosting and ecommerce.
Next, my friend runs a catering company, so its different in outlook than mine, click here
Lastly, his site is hosted at 1&1 which you can see at click here;jsessionid=6BE463C74E6F652338E5BFD1E9CA7D2A.TCpfix151b?__reuse=1263218363114
You mentioned domain names, you can also fix this via the webhost for a small annual fee, just find somethin that is available close to the name of your business.
Let us know how you get on

Like this post
The Mountaineer

Likes # 0

Sorry about the messy 1&1 link, it works but I've no idea what happened to displaying it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

to Webdesign.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'