We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Displaying "fractions" in browser pages

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

I've always used ¼ (alt0188) and ½ (alt0189)in titles in my gallery pages, but have only just noticed they no longer display properly.

It's the same in Firefox & IE.

I've noticed odd characters on pages in other web sites before, but did not know what they were.

Is there any way round this or do I have to revert to 1/2 for half an 1/4 for quarter?

Tried a few searches last night, but couldn't make much sense of what I was reading - perhaps somebody could explain in simple terms for me?

g-g

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Thanks Eric10, I did try it with the ; but result was the same.

Maybe I'm causing confusion in this, I'm using a Coppermine photo gallery and the fraction is part of the descriptive text, so is not actual .html code.

I also have a phpbb forum which uses fractions & they seem to display correctly. This was also recently transferred to the same host as the gallery.

I looked at the 1/4 fraction on a different computer with Firefox and there were letters within the square, looking like:-

FF
FD

Like this post
Eric10

Likes # 0

The final semicolon is an important part of the html codes and they don't work without it.
e.g. & frac14; NOT & frac14

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

?

More about the above character, in IE it is the outline of square, in Firefox it is a white question-mark on a black diamond.

Spooky!

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

?

The above is the character that has replaced my ¼.

I tried & frac14 (without the space) also & # 188 (without spaces) but neither worked.

Then, stupidly I thought at the time, I replaced that character above with my usual "alt 0188" and it worked, the quarter is displayed correctly again.

Just wondering if something funny happened when I changed hosts.

Any ideas how I can search my photo gallery for all occurrences of that character? Entering it in the search field gives no matches.

g-g

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Thanks beynac.

I'll have a go at that later on. Not sure if I've dozens or hundreds of them to alter. Unfortunately it's not a "search & replace" type of operation to sort this problem.

g-g

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

The code converted when I posted. I'll repeat iy with spaces.

1/3 use '& frac14;'
1/2 use '& frac12;'
3/4 use '& frac34;'

Remove the spaces after the ampersand.

Hope this works!

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

You could use the following 'special characters':

1/4 use '¼'
1/2 use '½'
3/4 use '¾'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...