We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Publicity

123joey123

Likes # 0

With our gallant troops fighting in Afghanistan it is easy to forget the great losses of the lst war and the shameful way many were treated.
I have published a web site to draw attention to the plight of Bomber Command crews. I know it's not the best site in the world but it gets the message over. If anyone has any ideas ho to increase coverage I would be grateful.

Like this post
123joey123

Likes # 0

Yes,links are my next job. There are many war time aviation sites on the web. I was surprised when I looked them up, also a great interest in the historical side.Apart from that there are organisations such as The Bomber Command Organisation, The Aircrew Association and so on. I'll contact all those.
I had the title Bomber Command in the master page of the site and was not sure if H1 could be attached there so I have put a little sub-title in and made that H1

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

Wouldn't want to see your site vanishing from search, so worth clearing up the link situation.

Firstly, what many people regard as Page Rank i.e. the number shown in the Google green bar is little more than a gimmick, left alive by Google for public relations reasons. What you see there is not an accurate reflection of Google's perception of your inbound links, or of Google's overall internal pagerank, which you don't see.

In any event, links only form a small and decreasing factor in overall ranking. For what they are worth, the best way to make them count is to ensure relavance and quality, which includes quality of origin. Taking part in the type of link exchange site mentioned earlier is not appropriate, is against Google guidelines and could see your site devalued, or even removed from the index.

In the real world, policing the web is hard and not that high a percentage of sites are caught but some are. So all of them are taking a risk in exchange for very little, the links tend not to be much use anyway. The type of link you do want is freely given, on a well indexed, topic related page and in context i.e. not in a link list but as part of a meaningful resource.

Reciprocal links are not forbidden as such, they are a logical part of the web but should therefore only exist for logical reasons and as a moderate proportion of links to/from your site. Neither should you worry about the number of links, a handful of natural, good quality inbound links will be far more use than thousands of directories, exchanges, blog comments etc.

The best way to achieve these and satisfy search engines in many other ways is to post valuable, unique, accessible content, then let people know you are around. Good luck with that and hope people enjoy reading.

Like this post
123joey123

Likes # 0

That's interesting that the green bar is a gimmick. I've often wondered about that myself.
I suppose the ultimate test is to type something approasching what you want and see if Google finds it also, what page it is on.

Like this post
123joey123

Likes # 0

Earlier, Forum Member told me I had several validation problems so, out of interest I checked on some other sites, some with huge Google ratings. All, yes, all had very many validation problems if one is to believe this checking sites.In fact, my site had less than most. I know some of these sites were made by professionals,which I certainly am not.Doesn't seem a thing to worry about.

Like this post
123joey123

Likes # 0

Thanks for your input which I find very informative. Strangely enough I put Google into the checker and it had loads of errors. A friend arrived who knows more than me and he snorted. 'It's IE that's the trouble.' Use Firefox or Chrome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback