We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Website Advertising Offer Query

rod45

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

Don't know if i have come to the right forum for this question but here goes, i have a website that has been running for a year advertising certain handcrafted items that i make, mainly as a hobby but i do sell small amounts.

Yesterday i had an email from a company saying my website was similar to their interests and would like to purchase some advertising space on my web pages, they have offered me an upfront payment of $120 for the year. I am a bit doubtful of this offer due to their business being online gaming, which has nothing in common with what i advertise.

Has anyone ever been approached like this, or know anything about this type of thing, or is it a con.

Regards

Rod

Like this post
jtt

Likes # 0

I would be wary. How are they going to pay you? Will they ask for your bank account details?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

for advertising on your site is hardly likely to be trying to con you.

You have nothing to lose, as long as you're happy that the advertising content will be acceptable.

Like this post
digital_uk

Likes # 0

its a nice offer you should accept.as you will accept your website will also get famous and visitors will increase on site.

Like this post
jodie111

Likes # 0

don't believe them, There is no free lunch! your website is not famous, why they give money to you? Unless they are fools.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and your account number to someone who needs to pay money into your account via the BACS system is no more dangerous than sending someone a cheque - you provide them with exactly the same information when you do that.

If you're worried about providing your account details, ask for the money to be paid to a PayPal account.

You can easily prevent any ads appearing on your site until you're happy that you have the money, so the system this company proposes seems to me to be fairly foolproof. What you need to concentrate on is the suitability of the ad content - make sure you know about it in advance, and take a very careful look at the site the ads will link to.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback