We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

more confused and mrs confused about web design

lozzalady

Likes # 0

Hello Everyone. I've joined the group as I've just started my own business and I need a website. (oh yes i surely do). I thought someone out there might be able to help.

Oddly I kind of understand the technical part of a site build but I don't understand the design element.

I have reg the domain name and now need someone to design my corp identity. So the question is: by trade is someone who does corp identity, the same person that 'designs' a website, or is the person who designs the website also the web builder?

It's confusing since when you talk to a company about doing the above they talk about 'we' - no idea how many people behind closed doors and their role would be. As a start up I can't afford a company anyway, so would like to use a freelancer - but how many?!

I don't want to build from a template so will defo need a designer but I'm so unsure of all their specific roles. Help!!....then there's the SEO, does the web builder do that, or is that also a separate person!! ARHGHHHHH

Like this post
tims31

Likes # 0

Hi Lozzalady,

I understand your confusion as there seem to be so many different names that most people have no understanding of.

A good webdesigner/ Graphic designer should be able to help you out with most of these points. If you already have a corporate image ie Logo/colour scheme/ headed notepaper etc then a site/graphic designer should be able to work with you on the creation of a basic design and what you want YOUR site to look like. They are there to assist you. Many freelance webdesigners will be able to cover most of these aspects for you.

SEO is also something that I concentrate on when building a site by ensuring I use correct metadata, page titles and keywords for each page. Linking off to similar site can also help with SEO. Often a well structured site with correct SEO data built in, a sitemap on google and sending in your url to them is the best SEO you can get.
To get a good list does take time but by using these points you should get there in a couple of months.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote