We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

web design (not build) help!

lozzalady

Likes # 0

Hello Everyone. I've joined the group as I've just started my own business and I need a website. (oh yes i surely do). I thought someone out there might be able to help.

Oddly I kind of understand the technical part of a site build but I don't understand the design element.

I have reg the domain name and now need someone to design my corp identity. So the question is: by trade is someone who does corp identity, the same person that 'designs' a website, or is the person who designs the website also the web builder?

It's confusing since when you talk to a company about doing the above they talk about 'we' - no idea how many people behind closed doors and their role would be. As a start up I can't afford a company anyway, so would like to use a freelancer - but how many?!

I don't want to build from a template so will defo need a designer but I'm so unsure of all their specific roles. Help!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

you'll find that site designers will also be competent graphic designers too, and they'll offer a corporate identity design service. Not all site designers will do this however, so you'll need to ask individual web designers when you first approach them.

Site design has become a good deal more sophisticated than it was years ago, when I first started designing sites for clients. In those days we were expected to do the lot, from concept to completion. Nowadays you'll often find that a designer will come up with the overall concept - layout,colour,style, etc. Then a developer might become involved and handle the functionality,scripts, databases, and so on. I tend to stick to designing now, and use freelancers for the server-side technicalities - it's faster.

Shop around, and get different quotes. You'll find that prices will vary considerably, so always ask to see previous work.

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

I was in the same situation as you were. As a self-employed IT Consultant, I hastily built my web-site, but it didnt portray the image I wanted od professionalism. I therefore enlisted the services of a web-designer in the States and he did a wonderful job.

The wonderful thing is that it was designed in Wordpress, so I make the changes myself and add/delete content accordingly.

I can recommend him if you want me to - just drop me an email using the yellow envelope

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......