We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quoting from Wikipedia articles

IClaudio

Likes # 0

I've looked all over the Wiki site for info on how to do this, but can't find out if it's even possible. There is a lot on 'citing', but that's not quite what I want to do, as I just want the odd sentence or paragraph. I realise that copyright subsists in the images, and I believe that these are usually credited, so I can ask permission should I want to use them.

Should I email the individual contributors for permission to quote text from their article? Or can I assume that as the resource is 'free' I can 'freely' use the articles?

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

There's a little information here on wikipedia content status you might want to read click here

There is the odd exception but this applies to most of their content. Do think you should still consider the point made above:

" Of course, the bad news is you have to say you got it from Wikipedia."

:)

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

fourm member, yes, I'd forgotten that, thanks for reminding me.

Ansolan, thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for and was too dim to find!

I don't mind attributing any quote to Wiki (I should think that I could bury it away in some general 'Credits' page!), and I can filter out the rubbish in the particular context I'm working with - and any text I copy will only be for a snappy boxout or similar, not reams of stuff.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more