We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

.uk.com compared to .com or .net

TOMSTEPHENSON1

Likes # 0

The domain name that I would dearly like to have as a .com has already been taken.
I have the name as .co.uk and .net. The name is available with a .uk.com extension.
I want my site to be picked up internationally and was wondering is the .uk.com likely to be as useful as the .com site extension or is it any better than the .net site extension

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

A site is not barred from showing up in other countries because of the domain. As with most things search engine, content, quality and web popularity are the key factors. As an example, we run a .co.uk that sits happily on page one in the USA, Australia etc.

Having said that, there is evidence that major search engines give a small degree of preference to neutral tlds .com .net etc. Also bear in mind that regardless of domain, a site will only show for meaningful searches in "Pages From...." when the site is hosted in that location. IP address, along with country specific domain are strong signals for search engines in general.

Your .uk.com will be treated as a UK domain, not a .com. From the point of view of neutrality, the .net may be better, although that is not meant to be conclusive advice. There are many options when trying to resolve international exposure needs. From geo-targeting sections of one site, to running separate sites.

Often the best solution is one strong site but depends on language needs, your overall business and marketing plan, available resources etc. etc.
If you want to post more detail, people might be able to help further but regarding your basic question, the .uk.com isn't likely to be the answer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014