We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I upload my website?

jason.p

Likes # 0

Apologies if this is a very basic question, but I really don't know how to upload my site. I've constructed the site, fairly basic with an index page and a few links backwards and forwards. This all seems to be working on my PC, but I don't understand how to upload it. I've got the domain with 1&1 and I have the webhost address and webspace on my server (Orange). I understand that I need an FTP site to upload it, but it needs to be one where I can import the ready made thing as a whole. Can anyone please advise?

Like this post
jason.p

Likes # 0

Thanks Fourm. I've tried a couple of FTP sites and despite having the Orange webhost address have been unable to connect, so I guess that as you say Orange do not allow FTP to their server.
If I have to pay for hosting it would make sense to use 1&1 as you suggest.
Many thanks for help.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

Assuming you are using Windows, ftp is built in.

ftp = file transfer protocol and is a programm that will upload files to a server.

Go START, MY COMPUTER, MY NETWORK PLACES, ADD A NETWORK PLACE.

This will start a wizard - type the address of the website as provided by Orange. Start the address with ftp://
next
untick log on anonymously
enter you user name - usually the bit before the @ symbol
Finish

When you then go to MY NETWORK PLACES a connection should be listed, the first time you open it you will be asked for your password.

copy your website files to here ensuring your home page is called index.htm - in lower case.

Like this post
jason.p

Likes # 0

Thanks Jollyjohn. I had no idea Windows had this facility, I'm still struggling a bit so I'll give it a try.

Like this post
cantthinkofanick

Likes # 0

Both 1&1 and Orange help facilities should be able to solve your questions. Have you tried them. You should have an FTP facility with Orange. You need an FTP client so download Filezilla. Configure this with you FTP username and password given you by orange and you should be able to upload your website. Assuming you A record points to the Orange servers you should be live.

Like this post
jason.p

Likes # 0

Thanks cantthinkofanick. I think I'll go with 1&1 webhosting as I've already got the domain with them.
I found the Orange website maker quite difficult, although I did manage to get an index page uploaded, eventually!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten