We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

right click freeze on desktop

stuj

Likes # 0

my home pc was in storage for 2 years, when i took it out and conected it to the internet i was careful only to allow updates, windows, avast, zone alarm, ccleaner, i then added spyware blaster and eraser. now every time i right click on the desktop the computer freezes, cant even open taskmanager by right clicking on the tray. i then have to use ctrl, alt, delete to shut it down, the only programme that comes up to 'shut down now' is explorer.exe. i have scanned both boot time and full with avast, ran a full scan with windows defender, ran both spybot and adaware, nothing.
ran a search for explorer.exe, found 2, 1 was windows:c the other was windows:c/ service pack files.
the computer is running xp. any help would be much appreciated

Like this post
MAT ALAN

Likes # 0

click here
possible solution...

Like this post
stuj

Likes # 0

sorry but i struggle to understand some of the information contained in these links. also they are 2 years old, microsoft should have solved this problem by now?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

sounds like the extra programs you loaded is doing it not viruses etc

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why not simply do a System Restore to before the Program instalation

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

hello.

after reconnecting with the internet, how often did you run the windows update? is it automatic update and always connected?

also, in the windows update panel, look at the update history. are there any failed installs?

i don't use automatic update. so i don't know what components might be ignored by the auto search - such as vc++ redistributable, direct x.

two years is a long time. in pc years, it may be decades of software and hardware driver technology changes outside of the xp operating system. the updated operating system may not be playing nice with the older software and drivers.

Like this post
stuj

Likes # 0

all the restore points i try come back cannot restore no changes were made

Like this post
stuj

Likes # 0

after reconnecting with the internet, how often did you run the windows update? is it automatic update and always connected?

the update is automatic but my internet is through a dongle so is not always connected

also, in the windows update panel, look at the update history. are there any failed installs?

sorry how do i get to this

i don't use automatic update. so i don't know what components might be ignored by the auto search - such as vc++ redistributable, direct x.

two years is a long time. in pc years, it may be decades of software and hardware driver technology changes outside of the xp operating system. the updated operating system may not be playing nice with the older software and drivers.

how do i update my drivers
i have checked and downloaded all available windows updates

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you tried removing the Programs you added before the Problem

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

hello.

"how do i update my drivers?

i have checked and downloaded all available windows updates"

windows updates typically do not include video card drivers. if your pc's a laptop, you may have to go to the laptop manufacturer's website to get the drivers. otherwise, go to the video card maker's website for them. the same options would apply for other hardware in your pc.

as for the windows update panel, i haven't used xp in a "long" while. someone else will have to help with details. but if you know where the "control panel" is, then "windows update" will be in there.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I've read that sometimes a program can add an entry to the right click menu in order to perform an action without having to open the program first. For instance a virus checker can add a "Scan File For Viruses" entry to the right menu button, these entries can be badly written and sometimes cause the right click to become unresponsive for long periods of time.

I found this post click here which may relate to your problem, The Spyware Blaster and Eraser programs may have added entries to the right click menu which are causing your computer to freeze up when right clicking.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...