We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Considering Heart Internet

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

There are obviously many hosts out there, probably most are fine, but I've noticed several people on here use Heart. Other hosts don't seem to get so many mentions.

I think I saw somewhere that Heart database servers were slow, as my photo galleries use MySQL that would be a problem. Are they really slow, or could it have been a one off. I've had same experience with 1&1.

At the moment all my databases are on MySQL 4 & I was wondering if there are likely to be problems with using MySQL 5 as Heart does?

Thought I would try free hosting with Heart last night, to get the feel of their control panel etc. but it seems you cannot get free hosting unless you have the domain name with them or ready to transfer in. In my case, the domain name still needs to be with 1&1 as it will take a while to transfer data across. So looks like I will have to try Home Pro, as that is the cheaper one with MySQL.

Finally, e-mail accounts, they seem more fiddly to set up. I can understand (hopefully) getting web space allocated and transferring data across in readiness for the change, but can you set up e-mail accounts in advance without the domain name?

I know all you experts out there will have the answers.....

Thanks guys,
g-g

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Well, if it's any use to you, I've used Heart for two or three years to host my wife's [simple] business web site and handle email redirection.

As an IT consultant, I've been pretty impressed by their professionalism and support. Have only had one minor problem during that time when an exercise in transferring everything to a new domain went slightly pear-shaped but there was no down time and support responses were very fast (which is the main criterion by which I normally judge a supplier).

Hope this helps

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features