We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Online database

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

I've been using Formbuilder & Webdatabase at 1&1 but if I change hosts is there anything free software I can use, or do other hosts offer similar software.

I use Formbuilder to allow other people to submit data to me for a website, I then enter it into the online database for all to see.

g-g

Like this post
Taran

Likes # 0

Some hosts offer similar (but not same) tools but from the sounds of it you are basically running a content management system where presumably nominated users are allowed to submit content which is vetted prior to publishing ?

If that's the case then any one of a number of Open Source Content Management Systems could potentially be used.

Getting your current data out in a usable format could be an issue, but once you have it you can inject it into anything with the right jiggery pokery.

Take a look at Wordpress (with one of the excellent CMS plugins to convert it from blogging engine to CMS) Joomla, CMSMadeSimple and MODx. Between them they cover most needs.

Most hosts offer one-click installs of the more common CMS scripts, which simplifies installation but does not address how to port your current content across to a different platform.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Thanks Taran,

I'm not really knowledgable about what you have suggested, but can investigate further. At least I have a Wordpress blog set up, so know a little about that.

I can easily get my data, as with every update I save the whole database as a .csv file.

g-g

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

most decent hosts offer you a plethora of scripts, and the host you're considering (Heart) will include Mambo and two versions of Joomla.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, heard of Mambo & Joomla but no idea of what they are or how they work.

I will investigate as time permits.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Content Management Systems (CMS).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...