We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing web host - technical advice

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

If I change my web host, I know it won't be a 5 minute job.

4Gb of data needs to be uploaded, which will take a considerable time. I presume this cannot be done until the domain name has been transferred to the new host, which means the existing web sites will cease functioning.

Am I missing something, is there an easy way to change web hosts?

Any advice welcome, as I have not changed hosts before.

g-g

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Open an account with the hosting company you want to go to. Create a driectory representing the name of the domain that you want to transfer.

From the existing site, download all data to your PC. Upload onto the new site into the directory you created.

Back to the existing hosting site and repoint the DNS Server addresses to the new site. Usually the DNS Address cascade happens very quickly, but can take up to 48 hours. Your site should remain available throughout most of this process.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Thanks OTT,

Didn't realise you could open an account with a host without using a domain name.

Once data is uploaded, is there a way to actually test it is working, as the "name.co.uk" won't point to that new account. Is it done via something like "newhostname.co.uk/whatever" or isn't it that easy.

g-g

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

I think you're talking about where the DNS Servers are pointing.

Once you have the data loaded to the new host, but have not repointed the DNS Server, that i know of there's no easy way to check if it will work once the DNS is repointed. The only thing I can think of is that you set-up a dummy domain on the new host server to test it, if your new host will allow you to host more than once domain.

Once the DNS is repointed it'll be immediately obvious if all is not well.

You need to be a bit careful when you transfer the data, especially if you have any databases or similar running on the site. Everything will need to be mirrored exactly or you'll run into trouble. If it's a basic HTML site then you shouldn't have any issues.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Much of what I'll be transferring is a Coppermine photo gallery, which uses a MySQL database. No doubt that does complicate things slightly.

Once the data is copied across to the new host, the next step would be to upload the database to the MySQL server before getting my domain transferred.

I'm not sure what would happen if I set it up under my other little-used domain name for testing purposes. I was experimenting with a Wordpress site some weeks ago, which was put into a different folder in my web space - I could access the blog, but could not sign in, as the admin page still had the address set as it would be for the proper working blog. Probably an easy way around that, editing something somewhere, but I never solved it.

I could always set up a test gallery under my main domain, then try and transfer it to my second domain (still with my existing host) and see if I can log into the admin page to make the neccessary address alterations for it to work. Remembering to also link to a copy of the MySQL database, so that the original is still intact.

Taxing my brain a bit, this is...........

g-g

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

No need to involve another domain, just enter the same one at your new host, then take your time and set up the site. When you are happy with that, change the DNS settings so the hostname points to the new IP address.

May take about 24 hrs to filter everywhere you need.Plenty of ways you can check the IP but they still may not reflect what is seen in other places. Keeping an eye on server logs is a reasonable solution. Once you see search engines at the site and general traffic, you should be okay.

No great rush to close down at the old IP anyway. They both hold the same site/same content. No duplication as such, just that some people will be going to one IP and others to the second IP for a short while.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Ansolan,

I'll admit to being a bit confused now. Never been involved with DNS settings, but have tried to read up a bit about them.

Yours, and a previous post seem to be saying I can alter the DNS settings for my domain at 1&1 so that it will point to my new host instead of my web space at 1&1?

Does this also mean that I do not have to transfer my domain name from 1&1 to the new host, the DNS settings doing whatever is neccessary? Didn't realise this could be done, always under the impression (probably wrongly) that the domain name had to be registered with the host.

My next thoughts are - what happens to e-mail? if DNS settings are pointing to a new host, where does the e-mail go, the new host or 1&1?

Sorry if I appear a bit dim with some of these questions, but have been with the same host for a good number of years.

g-g

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

"I can alter the DNS settings for my domain at 1&1 so that it will point to my new host instead of my web space at 1&1"

Correct

"Does this also mean that I do not have to transfer my domain name from 1&1 to the new host, the DNS settings doing whatever is neccessary?"

Correct, but that doesn't move the content. You have to do that.

the domain name had to be registered with the host"

The domain is leased. The host, in your case, has taken the lease out on your behalf.

"If DNS settings are pointing to a new host, where does the e-mail go, the new host or 1&1?"

Your new host.

"Sorry if I appear a bit dim with some of these questions"

You don't and you have nothing to apologise for.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Thanks OTT, think I understand it a bit more now.

Moving across all the data AND setting up all the e-mails accounts seems a big step all in one go.

I can see a few e-mails getting lost somewhere, can't see how I can check it is all working on the new host until DNS settings actually altered, if it all goes wrong can DNS settings be reset to 1&1 while I sort the problem?

You can tell I work on the assumption that if something can go wrong, then it will go wrong, so I always need a plan B.

g-g

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

on the same subject, and that's not a good idea - it confuses people.

I'm going to lock this one now - please post in the other thread from now on click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen