We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

American host instead of UK one?

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

1and1.com seems so much cheaper than 1and1.uk.

Has anybody used the American 1&1 as a host, or would you advise against it. I see on their site it "suggests" that people from other countries, such as the UK, use their "local" 1and1.

The 4Gb of data in my web space will take some uploading if I do ever change hosts.

g-g

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

1and1.co.uk - I will never touch them with a barge pole again due to a very unpleasant experience a few months ago.

I am now with heart internet as a reseller as I provide my clients with domain and hosting services for their business and personal use.

have a look at click here they have packages from £2.49 + vat a month to £10.75+vat a month. one of these may be the right one for you.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies, I'll click as resolved.

Probably change to another UK host, although could downgrade with 1and1 to cut costs.

The main problem is shifting 4Gb of data, plus all the "headaches" I'm bound to get in any major change.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Also bear in mind potential search engine problems. If you are using a generic domain e.g. a .com and host in the USA, that's where your site will be seen as more relevant.The Google geo-targeting facility doesn't really make up for this.

Even with a local tld e.g. a .co.uk, you may be at a disadvantage. So if search engines count, may not be a good saving.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......