We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

document scanning

dobbin

Likes # 0

My bookeeper who has been with me for 25 years, is moving to Spain for a large part of the year. Consequently I am looking for a simple way to email purchase invoices to her as they come in. What I am looking for is some sort of software whereby I could put the document in the scanner and with one click email it to her.

Ideally it should be like a fax machine whereby it it is scanned and faxed [or in this case emailed] in one go.

I do not want to have to go through the laborious procedure of waiting for the scanner to warm up, scanning, saving to hard disc and then emailing as an attachment.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what kind of software I should purchase?

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

If you have a scanner or an all-in-one, it shoudl come with software to allow you to scan documents as pdf's and email it.

Paperport click here is also something you can look into

Also VueScan click here may do the job

Like this post
dobbin

Likes # 0

paperport certainly looks as if it will do the job although it probably has rather too many features for a thee man office. Any ideas for something less complex.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It might be worth your while to investigate the cost of Sending & Receiving Faxes from Spain as, over time, this could end up being quite expensive.

You may find that e-mailing your Scans would be considerably cheaper, more secure and faster than, for example, Faxing 20 invoices.

Like this post
dobbin

Likes # 0

Have found just the product, 'Scan to pdf' click here. Costs $89 and does exactly what I wanted to do, scans the documents and emails them. Just need to find a sheet fed scanner now.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Now the fun starts.
You will find that your incoming paperwork is odd sizes and paper quality, this will make it hard to scan with a sheet feeder. You might be better with a flat-bed scanner.

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

"this will make it hard to scan with a sheet feed". Not necessarily. If a scanner or a AIO has a sheet feeder, it is most likely to have glass sheet as well

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Paperport is brilliant - it scans everything as a pdf file, then you just drag it to the Outlook icon and bingo, the email opens, and the document is added as an attachment.

You can file paperwork however you want, you can put keywords on and the 'Find' facility works in a nano second. I've got my last 5 year's of life filed using this programme!

Like this post
designdragon

Likes # 0

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but might actually work better. I've had good experiences with a company called ScanMountain.com. They allow you to scan your files into an online account. Then you wouldn't even need to email to your bookkeeper. She would have her own login on your ScanMountain account, and then she would have access to all the necessary files and receipts. Though they do have an email feature if you found it necessary to email a file. Pretty cool!

Like this post
rwm123

Likes # 0

I'd also recommend a similar service from Click2Scan (click here), giving you FTP access to your files via services such as creating your own Digital Mailroom - very useful!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014