We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where to get Professional website templates

VNAM75

Likes # 0

I'm not sure the style I want so would like a range to look at and choose from. I'm looking for free templates or ones that require payment (but not too expensive).

Once I have a template, how do I import it into my website program?

Like this post
VNAM75

Likes # 0

Thanks fourm member, just had a quick search and this one caught my eye,

click here

What do you think, I like the flash intro, but may be the front page is a bit too basic?

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

Depends on your objectives but bear in mind that using a flash/mainly flash site will present problems to search engines. Their ability to index flash has improved to a moderate extent but still not good and the various workarounds not ideal either.

A percentage of visitors also won't be delighted with flash, either straight dislike, or disabilities that stop them accessing the site, neither will all mobile devices cope.

There are plenty of free templates available in compliant XHTML/CSS e.g. at click here and they are usable with most WYSIWYG software. With the essential design built for you to use or modify though, you might be just as happy with a standard editor.

Again, that depends on what you are setting out to achieve. Good luck, whatever that is.

Like this post
VNAM75

Likes # 0

Thanks Ansolan, I take your point about flash. The site will be aimed/targetted at companies so the search engine issue is not a problem.

I dislike flash too, but only if it's over the top and especially with dark websites. But other sites, HSBC for example, make very good use of flash I think. But the one I pointed to above seems OK to me.

Thanks for the link, looks interesting.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I once got a 'free' template and, in my infinite wisdom used MS Front Page as an editor. Never, ever again!!!

Front page consistently added smart tags, extra code and all sorts of useless and awkward code and really got in the way of making a sensible page. It also put up warnings in IE about there being Activex and/or scripts which might stop people in their tracks there and then.

In the end, I found, in the depths of my software discs, an old copy of Dreamweaver4 that I had never used because it seemed too complicated. After messing with Front Page, Dreamweaver was a doddle.

If you're happy doing html coding, just use something like WordPad and build the pages using that and test them 'locally'.

As to the design, follow the age-old adage of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). A lot of people get very put off by index pages full of flashy gimmicks, sounds, animations etc. I do, for one. If you're aiming at companies, they are interested more in the content than gimmicks. They are looking for content with a professional style. Unless, of course, they are searching for people with a good Flash capability!

Like this post
123joey123

Likes # 0

If you get serif Web Plus which not only makes design easy it has some very good web plates. It is not too expensive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia