We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the best Web design Qualification?

pompeyfan0304

Likes # 0

I’m 21 and I’m thinking of changing career. I was wondering … What is the best Web design Qualification? And where do I start? Where is the best place to gain the qualifications I need?

Hope you can help

Pompeyfan0304

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

I'm not sure on meaningful qualifications for web design, but a good knowledge of (my)SQL, PHP / ASP, java script and flash seems to be pretty much obligatory these days.

Whatever course you settle for should cover as many of the above as possible.

Like this post
Patr100

Likes # 0

A good portofolio of sites (made for free or paid) is worth far far more than any paper qualification.
You did say Design rather than say coding though a good all round knowledge of other sapects can be learnt with dedication without formal training.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

there's no better qualification than experience. You'll gain the experience by designing and publishing sites, and the way forward is the one suggested by Patr100 - offer some small businesses a free site in return for the opportunity to interpret their brief.

Almost everything you need to know you can teach yourself, but you have to be prepared to work very hard, site design is a fiercely competitive market.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Also worth adding to the good advice above, important to gain an understanding of how sites work with search engines. Not SEO as such, good or bad but a thorough understanding of factors you need to incorporate into the build.

Your future clients might like to admire their site but at the end of the day, how much business that produces may be more important to them.

Like this post
splatter

Likes # 0

A good portfolio, a good understanding of as many things as possible: PHP/mySQL, SQL with VB/C#/ASP.Net, XHTML, CSS, flash, and generally some understanding of the OS to where your site may be deployed

...are just some of the things you will see listed, and more and more often accessibility standards and SEO are desired.

All the qualifications in the world will count for nothing if you have no experience applying those skills.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia