We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Insert a Navigation Menu from a "Library"

Chillie

Likes # 0

Really would appreciate some help and advice.

I run a small website (definitely not the best, but it serves its purpose) for my village click here. The navigation area uses Suckerdown Dropdown menu system. All is well until I want to add a new menu item, then I have to edit every page to amend the menu.

Is it possible to have the menu in a separate document and let each page call if from say, a Library Folder; similar to say, in Basic – calling a sub-routine

Is this possible in HTML?

Many thanks

Chillie

Like this post
Chillie

Likes # 0

Originally used HTMLGATE Free. Now using HTML-Kit.

Perhaps, I haven't explained my problem correctly. Every page has the Navigation Menu. So when I want to add another page say for the 'Boy Scouts', I currently go through each page and amend the menu to show the link to 'Boy Scouts'. I am hoping that HTML will allow me to have the Menu Layout on a separate HTML page stored say in the folder Library. Each page will then call the Menu from the Library - similar to Basic or Cobol computer progamming where a Routine is called by any part of the program thus making it unnecessary to key in the routine every time it is needed.

Hope this gives a better idea of what I would like to do.

Many thanks

Chillie

Like this post
Chillie

Likes # 0

The way forward appears to be SSI (Server Side Includes). I found these 2 whilst Googling - click here and click here.

I shall contact my Hosts and confirm that they use IIS Servers and then have a go!

Could you advise please whether I can name my html file with the suffix 'asp'? It seems this is a requirement. Or is 'asp' a separate web language?

Many thanks

chillie

Like this post
DippyGirl

Likes # 0

You may be better using something like NetObjects Fusion - you can download the older versions free from click here or it is often a giveaway on Computer Mags

This will allow you to set up you site so that when you add a page it appears in all navigation bars on all pages

You may have to spend some time initially setting the site up but once there, amendments - even quite large ones - are simple
I think there is an import function , though I have never used it

Like this post
DippyGirl

Likes # 0

Sorry didnt spot this was marked as resolved

Like this post
Chillie

Likes # 0

but thanks for your suggestion.

Chillie

Like this post

Reply to this topic