We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Downloading website

geoff47

Likes # 0

I have a website that my son in law has optimised for me.I want to make changes but not loose his optimisation.
I am using NetObjects so when making any changes to upload it defaults to changed objects only, so it would wipe out any changes on the server.
I would like to download the optimised site make the changes then upload the revised site.
Can anybody tell me how I should approach this ?

Hope this makes sense, I am not up to speed with the technical terminology

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I will experiment with my other site before trying anything with the site that matters.
Im sure I can work something out so that I can alter without obliterating the son in laws good work.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

As you might understand I am not very clever in the SEO department. My son in law is, and he altered bits and pieces plus installed a statcounter.
In the mean time I inadvertently edited the site and the way Netobjects works, I believe I wiped out his good work, since then he has redone what he did originally, but I need to edit again, and for future reference I would like to be able to add to the content, without erasing the stuff I am unable to do myself (and have to keep asking favours)

I don't know what the son in law used to be honest, he is an IT professional, but I feel uneasy getting him to re-do what he offered to do and I buggered up.....again.He is at one end of the country I at the other.
I have been getting better results with what is downloaded, I did try to download the whole site, perhaps I should download a page at a time and edit that, would be easier in the long run.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I have tried with FileZilla, and also via NetObjects itself.
Using Netobjects using an existing site is an option, but I only get some of the site to show up.
With FileZilla I get even more lost,it shows in IE, but I don't seem to be able to get it back into Netobjects.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

The content reads

"If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web server software on this system was successful. You may now add content to this directory and replace this page."

And more, but not the site I uploaded

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I have tried to do just that, File-New Site-From Existing Site, and it just is not what I was expecting to see, just a site from a template, nothing like the actual site.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added