We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help on backgrounds... sort of!

Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Once upon a time, I created a web site using the code...

BODY BGPROPERTIES="fixed" BACKGROUND="bground.jpg">

to keep a fixed background during scrolling.

It works fine in IE... but not in Firefox.

Is there a way of making it work in other explorers apart form IE?

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

An extra thanks to OTT_Buzzard who squeezed his bit in while I was writing my last bit.

CtA

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Uninstalled with Revo.

Reloaded.

Did all the same moves as before.

It now works the way I want it to!

Thanks to all who offered advice - with extra to fourm member who really persevered. I appreciate it.

Perhaps I can now get on with working my way through the Sams Teach Yourself book which I found on Amazon (cost 1p + p&p - a good investment). And perhaps I can stop tearing out what (little) hair that I have left.

CtA

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

forgot a bit:

At the end of the style section (and still within the <header> tags, you need to close it off with </style>

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Put <style type="text/css"> inside the <header> </header> tags at the top of the page.

Worth noting that you've got 'note' qualifiers around the body style as well, so get rid of the <!-- and -->

Also between the <header> tags, use:

body
{
background-image:url('yourimage.jpg');
background-repeat:no-repeat;
}

I don't know if 'fixed' is supported, but if it is then try:

body
{
background-image:url('yourimage.jpg');
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-attachment: fixed;
}

Haven't tried it - hope it works for you!

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Tried varying combinations on that line - and different images.

Also tried using a style.css - and that didn't work either.

I'm going to try reloading DW4 (after a desperately needed smoke break... naughty) in case there is a little glitch in it; though I doubt it. That'll pass a bit of time until lunch break.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

More detail...

Developing these ideas using DreamWeaver 4 (I know it's old; but it's all I've got!).

For now, I have created a very simple page with enough stuff on it to need scrolling.

Using DW4, I have modified the CSS Style for body (inline style) and it reads...

<style type="text/css">
<!--
body { background-attachment: fixed; background-image: url(/backgrounds/Background.jpg) }
-->
</style>

Unlike a solid colour, this just not show on the development page. Using the 'preview' facility for both IE and FF, the background shows and stays put. Yippee!

Save it, close it and view it (properly) in IE or FF and no background.

Gulp.

Help!

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I was hoping that would be the case. I'll try it inline first, and if it works I'll put it in the CSS.

Back tomorrow.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

CSS is, fortunately, the way I was going forward. However, I shall continue to experiment; it's one of the ways that I learn (sometimes) and see if I can wangle a fixed background into it.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

The upshot is that the Body & Background syntax is no longer supported - use of CSS is the way forward.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

You were entering that as I was replying to OTT_Buzzard.

That looks interesting. Quite a different syntax. I will try it tomorrow, when I'm back in 'design mode' and see if it will work in Firefox.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...