We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help with my site

damen1786

Likes # 0

hey everyone i recently build my own site using rvsitebuilder, however im wanting to change to joomla, how do i keep my site up whilst i change to the one i make on joomla, i want to keep the url's all the same etc any help please?

click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and save it to your hard drive. Make the changes, and then upload the new version to the server. When prompted to respond to the question: "Do you want to over-write the files on the server, click on the 'Yes' response.

Like this post
damen1786

Likes # 0

the trouble is when i want to install joomla i cannot install it to my url i have to install it to click here .com/admin/admin because /admin is already in use! if that makes sense? is there a way to build it and keep the old one online?

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

there a way to build it and keep the old one online?

Probably not, i'm afraid. When you install joomla it's done automatically server side and will work relative to it's install path.

So, keeping all URL's (old and new) will be almost impossble unless you install joomla to a different location, publish it then change all the URL's to suit match the old one's. Alternatively, do as above but put in redirects for the old URL's to the new locations under the joomla set-up. Hope that makes sense!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014