We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with Web Site I Designed

LarryF

Likes # 0

Last year I designed a site for friend who worked for a company at click here and it worked fine with no speed issues. I have not updated the site since then, but now it apparently takes a long time to load on some pages. I have viewed it with Firefox 3, IE7 and IE8 and it loads within a few seconds, but other people say it loads slowly and they were using IE8 amongst other browsers. I validated the code using HTML Tidy in UltraEdit and I can't get it to load slowly, so I can't reproduce the problem to try and fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

loaded the site in about two seconds.

IE8 took about five seconds to load it.

If I disabled the add-ons in IE8 it wouldn't load the site at all.

Frankly there's no apparent reason for the slow load, or the total load failure. If Google Chrome can handle it that quickly so should IE8.

Like this post
LarryF

Likes # 0

Thanks for the input, but I'm still no closer to find a solution. I had a report that for one person using IE7 it took 15 seconds to load one page. Someone with Firefox and Opera said it was fine, so I think it's a browser issue but I don't know what exactly. If I can't find a solution I'll have to redesign the site from scratch, which will be a pain to say the least.

Like this post
slightlymad

Likes # 0

Web Page Analyzer click here is useful for determining the causes of slow-loading.

And while I'm here, you have an extraneous </ul> on line 32:

id="gold_dealersnav">Gold Dealers</a></ul>
</ul>

Oh, and it should be <br> not <br/> on line 62.

Your page will validate if you correct these small errors, and who knows, it might just decrease the loading time...

Like this post
LarryF

Likes # 0

Hi slightlymad, I missed the extra </ul> on the index page, which is strange as I validated the pages in UltraEdit using HTML Tidy. However, that does not cause the page to load slowly. I had already run the Web Page Analyzer and did the best I could to reduce the large amount of graphics, etc. that the results recommended. As the page is complying to XHTML, the <br> tags should be <br/>, as stated at click here. The client has said that the page loads fine now (I haven't made any changes to speed it up though) so I think this question has been answered. Thanks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'