We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Business website

VNAM75

Likes # 0

I've produced a website which features lots of examples of using pivot tables, graphs and databases to analyse and report financial data. A lot of it is based on Sage which I expect is the most commonly used accounting package by small to medium size businesses. I don't want to explain any more about it because I would like people to advise me on whether the website sections manages to convey what is shown on the system diagram page, which is what I will be using to promote/advertise the business. I would also be grateful for any other comments/suggestions. To access it you need to click one of the 6 links on the home page, then its the 2nd link on the left. Some issues I have in mind at the moment are:

1) I've picked up on a few minor grammatical errors that I've yet to correct and I also think it could do with more descriptions and explanations.

2) I am slightly concerned that some of the content looks like its been copied direct from example files, but everything was produced by me although it is based on sample data found in access, sage and the internet.

3) I plannning to offer a free 30-45 minute laptop demonstration initially to start the business off in my local area. Is that a good idea?

4) Where do I start by advertising the business services? I was thinking of posting leaflets to businesses but that doesn't seem right. Advertising in the business sections of a local paper or website is preferred but I'm not sure where to start. Can places like jobcentres help me even if I'm not a claimant? I did send it to a recruitment manager who has placed me in contract roles before, but the feedback was that she found it very impressive though not necessary as she was confident of finding me work "without additional documentation"

5) I am not setup/registered as a business yet and not working (nor claiming any benefits)at the moment. Could I use an umbrella company to manage my payroll/contract? It works by the company/client paying the umbrella company my gross weekly salary, who then deduct income tax and NI plus their weekly fees (around £20) and pay me the net amount. Is this way workable/legal? I've used umbrella companies in the past via an agency, and the only difference this time is that I will be approaching companies myself for contracts.

The link to my site is:

click here

For anyone who's interested, the website was produced using netobjects which I find to be quite good. It's not as advanced as expression web/dreamweaver, but still has a lot of features and the site/page structure is very useful.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

but if nobody else has provided the information you need I'll try to respond tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more