We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Network Setup Query / Advice

bokvis

Likes # 0

I have 3 laptop computers
Sony Vaio - Vista
Toshiba Satellite Pro - XP
Advent - XP
BT Business Hub

We need to create a central database / storage facility between these 3 laptops which will enable us to fileshare etc.

Senario 1. I create order in excel i.e. Order no.100 on the Vaio, if someone else needs to create a subsequent order on another laptop - they would need to see that i have already taken the order reference no.100 and now create no.101.

Senario 2. If one of the laptops is taken out the office - the other 2 laptops will need to have access to the files from the "missing" laptop - hence central database / storage requirement.

I have had 2 people come to see me saying i need a server and a network set in the region of £5000.00 - £11000

Surely this is a fairly simple requirement....appreciate any comments or assistance / guidance
Thank you

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Share a single folder on a NAS drive ( click here) between all machines and/or install Dropbox ( click here ) - it's described as a Beta but I've been using it for months to keep a shared folder on my home PC and work laptop synced and it's never caused a problem.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

from Absolute beginners.

Like this post
bokvis

Likes # 0

Thank you for the speedy response.

Ok so i have read your links and it seems the NAS drive is the way to go which will provide me with the capability to acheive file share between 3 laptops

Thank you very much for your support / advice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...